Celebrating Our Love of Mother Earth
If Christmas is our favorite holiday at Cherry Republic, Earth Day is a close second. Because as much as we love brightening peoples' spirits with ruby red morsels of joy, we also love caring for our planet. In fact one of our Core Values is "LIFE: We value and appreciate Northern Michigan and cherries." That's why we've given more than $2 million to mostly environmental and farmland nonprofits since our inception in 1989.
Some of our favorite organizations have included the Leelanau Conservancy, the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy, Crosshatch Center for Art & Ecology, Grass River Natural Area, Groundwork Center for Resilient Communities, Inland Seas Education Association, Leo Creek Reserve, TART, FLOW, the Michigan Climate Action Network, the Michigan League of Conservation Voters, Buckets of Rain, and many others. Recently we've helped to support Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farms that are making a concerted effort to move to solar/renewable energy.
In our own home at Cherry Republic, we have formed an internal Green Conservation Committee made up of nearly a dozen employees who are investigating ways we can become more energy efficient and do our part to help curb global warming -- both at work and in our own homes.
For those among our Citizens who are looking for ways to make your own impact, we've compiled some ways you may choose to spend Earth Day 2019.
Glen Arbor, Traverse City, & Surrounding Areas
- Leo Creek Earth Day Celebration | Leo Creek Preserve | Saturday, April 20 | 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Where the Wild Things Grow: Michigan Orchid Talk | Leland Township Library | Monday, April 22 | 2:00 p.m.
- Leelanau Native Plants Initiative Program | Leelanau Government Center | Thursday, April 25 | 12:00 p.m.
- Arbor Day Tree Planting | Palmer Woods Forest Reserve | Friday, April 26 | 1:00 p.m.
- Northport Energy Solar Tour | Saturday, April 27 | 9:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Charlevoix & Surrounding Areas
- Earth Day Tree Planting | Consuelo Diane & Charles L. Wilson Jr. Working Forest Reserve | Saturday, April 20 | 10:00 a.m.
- Women Managing Woodlands | Emmet County Road Commission | Friday, April 26 | 10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Ann Arbor & Metro Detroit
- Earth Day Cleanup | Wolcott Mill Metropark Farm Center | Saturday, April 20 | 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Earth Day Cleanup | Oakwoods Metropark | Saturday, April 20 | 10:00 a.m.
- Green Day | Belle Isle Nature Center in Detroit | Saturday, April 20 | 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Earth Day Extravaganza | Outdoor Adventure Center | Saturday, April 20 | 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- MI Earth Day Fest | Downtown Rochester | April 26-28 |
- Annual Earth Day Festival | Leslie Science & Nature Center | Sunday, April 28 | 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Earth Day 5K & Kids Run | Downtown Rochester | Sunday, April 28 | 8:00 a.m.
Frankenmuth & Surrounding Areas
- Celebrate Earth Day | Saginaw Children's Zoo | Saturday, April 20 | 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- HEP Earth Day Tour | Holland Energy Park | Monday, April 22 | 3:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
- Earth Day River Clean Up | Dunton Park | Saturday, April 27 | 1:00 p.m.